Desmond Méndez (born 6 April 1980), better known as Charly Black, alternatively known as Charly Blacks, and originally known as Tony Mentol, is a Jamaican reggae and dancehall singer, selector and singjay. He is best known for his track "Gyal You a Party Animal", which became popular outside Jamaica in regions including Mexico, South America, and Spain. The song was a hit in these regions, as well as in some parts of the Caribbean and Central America. It is also one of the most watched dancehall videos on YouTube with over 238 million views as of February 2022. Other songs include "Whine & Kotch" Feat. J Capri, "Girlfriend" , "Bike Back", and "Hoist & Wine". Mendez has also collaborated with other music artists, including his collaboration with American Latin pop star Jencarlos Canela in the single "Pa Que Me Invitan".
Life and career
Mendez has been part of the Warlord International and Bass Odyssey sound systems. As Tony Mentol, he made his recorded debut in 2004 with the single "Woman It's You". He eventually switched aliases to Charly Black and recorded a string of cuts for labels like Coppershot, M Bass, and VP, the last of which issued "Buddy Buddy" in 2008. in the year 2012 With the label of Head Concussion Records (company of the Jamaican producer Rvssian) he releases the song "Whine & Kotch" with the singer J Capri, having a great acceptance in the world of dancehall and being one of the most recognized songs of it. In 2014, he recorded his most successful single, "Gyal You a Party Animal", then simply known as "Party Animal". The song, based on Kurt Riley's Jambe-An riddim, gradually spread outside Jamaica to win over audiences across South America. It was licensed worldwide by Allezgo Productions and for the US by Casablanca Records in early 2016, followed by the release of a music video for the song on YouTube months later. It has since received over 100 million streams on Spotify.
The song has also been remixed by other foreign music artists, including Maluma, Daddy Yankee, and Jillionaire. However, Maluma announced via Instagram that he was unable to launch his remixed version due to legal rights issues.
Since the critical success of "Gyal You a Party Animal" later that year, Mendez has been more active on live performing. In October 2016, he made a live performance in Mexico, performing such songs including his signature "Gyal You a Party Animal", as well as Hoist & Wine. This performance was sponsored by the Hispanic Radio Network and station Los 40. He also appeared in San José, Costa Rica on December 2 of the same year, where "Gyal You a Party Animal" was certified Diamond in Central America, making him the first Jamaican music artist to be Diamond-awarded in the said region.
- No Excuses (2023)
- Multi-Talented (2013)
- Rio Bueno (2021)
- Best Whine Riddim (featuring Kooly Chat) (2011)
- "Woman It's You" (2004)
- "Buddy Buddy" (2008)
- "Rich This Year" (2009)
- "Fall in Love Again" (2010)
- "Whine & Kotch" (2012)
- "Too Blessed" (2012)
- "Bubble Dung" (2013)
- "Jamaican Everyday" (2014)
- "Bike Back" (2014)
- "Gyal You a Party Animal" (2015)
- "Energy Girls" (2015)
- "Girlfriend" (2016)
- "Hoist & Wine" (2016)
- "Big Bumper" (2016)
- "Just Do It" (2016)
- "Bruk Out" (2016)
- "Often" (2016)
- "VIP Girl" (2017)
- "Sidung" (2020) 
- "Charly" (2021)
- "Pa Que Me Invitan" (with Jencarlos Canela) (2016)
- "Me lloras" (with Gloria Trevi) (2018)
- "Dancehall reggae artiste Charly Black official biography". dancehallreggaeworld.com. Archived from the original on 2017-09-09. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Charly Black goes universal - Entertainment - JamaicaObserver.com". jamaicaobserver.com. Archived from the original on 2019-04-19. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Charly Black - Gyal You a Party Animal - YouTube". YouTube. Archived from the original on 2019-05-10. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- http://www.peopleenespanol.com/article/jencarlos-canela-presenta-su-nuevo-sencillo-pa-que-me-invitan Archived 2016-12-20 at the Wayback Machine (in Spanish)
- "Charly Black - Biography | Billboard". billboard.com. Archived from the original on 2016-12-21. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- http://www.publimetro.com.mx/entretenimiento/maluma-anuncia-que-el-remix-de-party-animal-no-sera-lanzado/mpcg!o9jRpMQxGjt2[permanent dead link] (in Spanish)
- "Jamaican dancehall and reggae artists wow Seychelles fans". Archived from the original on 2017-02-25. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "'Gyal You A Party Animal' takes Charly Black to Mexico | Entertainment | Jamaica Star". jamaica-star.com. 22 October 2016. Archived from the original on 2021-09-30. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Charly Black Single "Party Animal" Went Diamond". 6 December 2016. Archived from the original on 27 December 2016. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- Charly Black - No Excuses - Apple
- Baugh, Claudine (March 14, 2020). "The 'Incredible Riddim' Producing Hits From Vybz Kartel & Sikka Rymes, Sean Paul, Konshens And Charly Black". dancehallmag.com. Archived from the original on March 22, 2020. Retrieved March 22, 2020.